Friday, November 19, 2010

Journalism and Faith

I really liked our class discussion about how people often view others as different because of varying religious affiliations and how instead we need to recognize that people of faith share a lot in common. We shouldn't be a divisive public because we share a wide array of beliefs, and we shouldn't be afraid of other faiths and sects. Rather, we should recognize that religious people are people of compassion. People who seek out truth. People who have a reason for the way they live. Learning to accept and understand that shouldn't be scary. Yet many reporters shy away from anything religious.

"Isn't this journalism's mandate: to offer not just a simple play-by-play of reality, but also to explore what stirs, inspires, pushes people to action?"
Gal Beckerman

This clip talks about Religion on TV and why religious information requires specialized journalists.

I think my belief system will lend itself to accurate news-telling. I believe in being honest and true which is what journalism is all about. My belief system focuses on understanding morality through the light of Christ which we believe everyone is given. This would make us believe that our moral compass should pretty regularly point the same direction as all other goodhearted people. With the knowledge and beliefs I have, I will strive to find the truth and to report it in a truthful manner so that others can understand not how things seem to be, but how thing truly are. Striving to be honest in my deeds with my fellow men will also help me to be transparent in my person and reporting style and goals. I never want to mislead my audience, but rather to present honest and truthful information so my audience is enabled to make their own decisions.

I think a true person of faith can report objectively report on religious issues. You may not like or approve of something that happens, but if you seek out the truth and have humanity's best interests in mind, then I don't see a problem with reporting on religious issues. The key is to strive to avoid ethnocentrism.

I think reporters often have difficulties reporting about religion and faith, however, because they fail to understand the commonalities betwixt religions, and mostly because they're afraid of the repercussions that may arise from reporting on religion.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Kara. I think a lot of times in journalism we are afraid of religion because we don't want to offend people or we feel that we may disagree or not have certain things in common-- i like the idea here that religious people all share one quality: compassion.

    ReplyDelete